Sister in Spanish | Hermana
How to translate sister in Spanish? Let’s find out what does sister mean.
1- “Una hermana” is a person who has the same parents with different personalities, this is also called a “hermana carnal” (carnal sister).
2- You can also call “hermana” who is very close and who you has a lot of affection for, this is called “hermana política”
I love my sister – Yo amo a mi hermana
Your sister is beatitful – Tu hermana es hermosa
She is my sister – Ella es mi hermana
3. In religion, a person who is a member of a religious community brother of the Christian Doctrine, or who enters as a servant in a religious community is called “hermana”(sister) or “hermano” (brother).
4. A person who you are emotionally or spiritually united is called “hermana”.
5. There are also the “hermana bastarda”(bastard sister) or ” hermano bastardo” (bastard brother) and it is a legitimate child, that born out of wedlock.
6. There are also “las hermanas de leche” (milk sisters) or “hermanos de leche”(milk brothers), which are two people without blood ties but breastfed by the same woman.
Little Sister in Spanish
7. A “hermano consanguíneo” (consanguineous brother) or “hermana consanguínea” (consanguineous sister) is called the one who is only on the part of the father and the “hermano uterino” (uterine brother ) or “hermana de utero” (uterine sister) is who only on the part of the mother.
8. The “gemelos” (twins) are the ones who were born at the same birth.
9. The “hermano mayor” (older brother) or “hermana mayor” (older sister)
10. The “hermano menor” (younger brother) or “hermana menor” (younger sister)(little sister)
11. “Hermanas(os) siameses” (siamese twins) are those who are born conjoined by some part of the body or babies who are born physically connected.
12. The “hermanos mellizos” (twin brothers) or “hermanas mellizas” (twin sisters) also known as dizygotic, bivitelline or fraternal twins, are those that are produced by the fertilization of two eggs by two different sperm. In this way, the result is two brothers that can be similar or very different, that are born at the same time.
13. The half brother is called “hermanastro” (stepbrother) or “hermanastra” (stepsister), son or daughter of one of the spouses concerning the children of the other.
Sister in Law in Spanish
sister – hermana
brother – hermano
sister in law – cuñada
brother in law – cuñado
hermana carnal – carnal sister
hermano carnal – carnal brother
bastard sister – hermana bastarda
bastard brother – hermano bastardo
stepbrother – hermanastro
stepsister – hermanastra
twins – gemelos
older brother – hermano mayor
older sister – hermana mayor
younger brother – hermano menor
younger sister – hermana menor
siamese twins – hermanas(os ) siameses
consanguineous brother – hermano consanguíneo
consanguineous sister – hermana consanguínea
twin brothers – hermanos mellizos
twin sisters – hermanas mellizas
Read more about the family members in Spanish